Our Farmstay in times of COVID-19
Our Farmstay studio is ready!
The dream and vision of making it a Farmstay experience has to be put on hold in light of what is happening in the world, however we carry on with life safely, thoughtfully, and with care.
After realizing that so many mothers and fathers, primary caregivers are stretched so thin right now, I have decided to open it up in a very limited capacity as a space to come and rest for a day or two.
Taking reservations for 1 or 2 persons at a time (no children under the age of 16 at this time). Social distancing respected. If you need a break from busy family life, and a space to rejuvenate and re-energize, maybe snuggle with a sheep or two, this might just be your ticket.
Activities on the farm will be limited:
- Hanging out on the back patio
- Hanging out in the oak meadow or under the old apple tree and read a book
- Hanging out with sheep within a closed fenced area. (schedule ahead of time please)
- Walk and hikes close by
- Studio will be stocked with flowers, fresh produce and fresh eggs.
- You can still order local wine or a basket of madeleines ahead of time.
Sorry, no access to gardens or barn this year.
Night rate is $85, that includes flowers, fresh produce and fresh eggs. Leave the studio as you found it and the deep cleaning will be on me. This is a Eugene area -summer 2020- COVID-19 special only, to nurture our community. This is subject to change at any point in time.
At this time and because of safety reasons regarding COVID 19, a lot of the information below is not relevant.
Thinking of booking a Farmstay?
What you can expect at Appletree Farm
The following information may not apply during the COVID-19 crisis.
At Appletree Farm, we hope to connect you with Oregon’s agricultural and cultural potential. Our small farm sits in the Willamette Valley, just outside of Eugene and around the corner from some of the finest Oregon wineries.
We are a small diversified farm and we are happy to share with you our flock of Gotland sheep, our gardens, our flock of hens and our property.
Our remodeled farm studio provides a nice bright space with a main room, a sleeping loft, a bathroom and a well-equipped kitchen. The studio is about 430 square feet plus the loft (the loft is comfortable and most adults can stand up part way through the loft). One accesses the loft through ladder-type stairs. There is a small private sitting area in the back with a view of the barn, fields and sheep. Our setup is cozy and perfect for a small family of 4, or 2 or 3 adults trying to escape the city. The studio is stocked with some breakfast essentials, farm fresh eggs and seasonal produce.
- We offer non-smoking accommodations (smoking is prohibited inside and out).
- We are a hillside farm with steep terrain. We are not handicap accessible.
- Our Farm Stay is suitable for children and children must be supervised at all times.
- Pets are not allowed.
- We ask that you take an Appletree Farm family member with you while visiting our farm animals and gardens, in the barn or inside of fenced pastures and fenced areas.
- Check-in is from 3 to 6:30pm. Please notify us if you will be arriving after 6:30pm.
- Check-out is noon.
Our location allows for quiet time on the farm, as desired, with an easy access to some of Eugene’s best breweries, tasting rooms, restaurants or coffee shops. Eugene is home to the University of Oregon campus with its museums and of course Track Town USA. Eugene is about 12 to 15 minutes away from our farm. You can bike to Eugene and some wineries from our farm. (Ask us about borrowing bikes).
When you arrive at Appletree Farm, you will drive down a steep driveway and park in one of our designated parking spaces. Your studio will be on the first level of the property, detached from our home but attached to our shop space.
The farm itself, which includes the barn, pastures, garden and greenhouse, sits lower on the property and can be accessed through a paved road or a set of stairs that drops you onto a grassy area.
In front of the studio and our home you will find a wooded area that is set up with a kid friendly spot that we are always developing changing and improving. One of its highlights is a mud kitchen!
What you should know before booking
When making your reservation please consider that our farm is not isolated, it is surrounded by other homes and properties.
Our family lives on the farm and we always have some children around. Our children are respectful but they make children’s noises.
At this point we do not take “instant booking” as we like to know a little bit about you and your friends or family before your reservation goes through. We want to make sure that this is a good fit for everybody.
We feel that we have a lot to offer, if you are interested, but we also want you to be assured that you will have your very own private space to have a wonderful vacation.
If you wish to, you are invited to help with some of our chores with our flocks and our gardens. Our farm is a place where we value education. We are happy to show you as much as you’d like, and talk with you about what we do.
Stéphanie will provide guests with her cell phone number for easy communication, as needed, within respectful boundaries.
Important information about staying on our farm!
Visiting the barn and gardens
We ask that our guests are always accompanied by a member of our family to go down to the barn or the gardens. Our farm is a small farm but it is a working farm. Our gardens feed many families through a CSA program and everything is planned accordingly. We ask that you do not go and graze in the gardens by yourself. The studio will have some amount of produce, some eggs and some flowers upon arrival. There is always more for purchase.
We work with rare and expensive genetics to develop our flock of sheep. We keep a closed flock of sheep, so we are extremely careful with bio-security (we do not want to introduce any illnesses from other farms on our farm). We have many pairs of shoes and boots available (that never leave the farm) for guests or, if you prefer wearing your shoes or boots, we ask that you either wear booties (which we provide) or dip the sole of your shoes in a bleach solution upon arrival.
There are many potential hazards on farms. All fences can be electrified so please be mindful. We ask that parents fully supervise children at all times, even in the children’s area. We are a non-programmed farm (no set activities, no entertainment, no childcare) unless you have scheduled something with us ahead of time. Parents are responsible for entertaining their children. We have some infrastructure available for kids but the farm family is not responsible for keeping kids busy.
We do not allow any pets. We have four cats and one Australian Shepherd on the farm and they do not enter the studio because we do not let them. Given a chance, however, they will come and visit. We ask that you do not let them in, so we are able to keep the studio free of animal allergens.
Things that could happen on Appletree Farm
- Working with animals: lambing, shearing, sheep and lamb care (vaccines, ear tags, weight…)
- Gardening: seeding, transplanting, harvesting, prepping garden beds, weeding…
- French cooking and preserving: canning, harvesting/blanching/freezing, saucing, making ratatouille…
- Working with wool: skirting fleeces, washing wool, basics of using wool, making dryer balls (for an added fee), making felted soaps (for an added fee)
- Being with the sheep: relaxing in a paddock with a few sheep that are particularly friendly and attention seekers, high tea with sheep
Customize your stay at Appletree Farm
You can order these added perks when booking or contact us to add after booking or to schedule a surprise for somebody special:
- You can reserve a French breakfast, ($10 per person)
- Would you like to have a bottle of local wine and a snack board waiting for you? (We can help make it happen $30 for 2 to 3 adults)
- Something sweet but not too sweet, that adults and children will enjoy alike, we can make you a batch of Madeleines (12 chocolate or vanilla or both for $10)
- You are coming with somebody special or you want to surprise somebody with something special, ask us and we will help you make it happen